Basketball and Coronavirus - What's next? What can you do?

It's hard getting up in the morning.  Some days I don't remember what day of the week it is.  My grandkids are struggling.  They are stressed.  They can't do the things that they want to do.   I finally bought myself a golf driving net and set it up against the house in the backyard and I hit a couple hundred golf balls a day and work on form.  My wife and I are walking the neighborhood, sorting old digital photos, fixing stuff and knocking out Honey-Do Lists that I have avoided for years.

I told my grandson, who was looking forward to the AAU 17U season that he might be lucky to play in July and August.  Very Lucky.  Schools are closed for the rest of the spring.  I feel real badly for all of those spring sports teams.  I feel bad about the Spring AAU schedule disappearing.  I doubt that there will be a June HS practice and game schedule.  I doubt everything our "President" says about opening up the country.  IF WE KEEP UP THE SOCIAL DISTANCING FOR ANOTHER 40 DAYS, WE MIGHT ONLY SEE 60,000 PEOPLE DIE (see my estimates below).  And we are finding out that blacks are dying at a much higher rate than whites.  Over 50% of the deaths in St. Louis are people of color.  We need to keep up our social distancing for at least another month or more.

So what can you do?  If you are a player, man, you need to get out in the street with a ball and dribble.  If you have a basket in your driveway, you need to be working on shooting drills.  If you have a set of free weights or dumbbells, you need to spend an hour a day working your upper and lower body.  DO SOMETHING TO MAKE YOURSELF BETTER RIGHT NOW!!!!!

I found dozens of YouTube videos that provide guidance for making yourself a better basketball player. These are drills you can do by yourself or with your immediate family if you are sheltered in place together.   Here's a few that you or your player can start doing today.  These will make you better when the schedule does start up again.

While everyone is stuck
  at home here are some basketball drills you can use to stay sharp from NBA
  skills coach and Kentucky Swarm AAU Coach PK Cherry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KD7_CE1dko
Coronavirus has all the
  gyms shut down, so we outside with it. Reminding me of my childhood days when
  we used to be all the park all day hooping or in the driveway. If we can’t
  get INside we gone workout OUTside 💪🏽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUlGDy0Wfbk
Looks like we gonna be at the park getting it in, until
  the gyms open back up!!! No matter the situation, you must find ways to
  workout. Be creative, as long as you have a basketball you can at least work
  on your handles. If you don’t have access to weights you can do all body
  weight exercises. I’ll be dropping a body weight video soon!!! Lets get it
  💪🏽 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJoHJP1Jpf0
This is a workout coming
  from Advanced Hoops in central Pennsylvania. This workout will take you to
  the next level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cOLSW5bZ0
RISE Basketball School
At-Home Basketball Work - Quarantine Coronavirus Workout - RISE Basketball School
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlkarZtnGs
If you want to play basketball like a pro, do this
  quick ball handling routine every day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BpZ2Qzkdg
Weight Workouts at Home | Coronavirus / COVID-19 (Self Isolation Workouts to Try!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEK7u0Ffj8

Make it happen.  Doing nothing is not an option.  Get out there and make yourself better.


Focus on the above.....  Don't read any further because it is depressing.

I am not a medical expert.  I dabble in statistics and models.  I took a look at the current coronavirus cases and deaths since the start and put together a couple of polynomial models of death estimates.  If we continue to social distance, experts tell us that we might top out at 60,000 deaths.  If we don't, it could be 200,000 or more.  More deaths from COVID-19 than soldiers that have died in all of our wars in the history of the US.  Opening up the economy by early May would be a huge mistake.  Playing an AAU schedule with kids from all over the country and sitting in cramped bleachers with people you don't know, could be catastrophic.  If we are lucky, July basketball might happen.  If we open up society too soon, we might not be sending kids back to school next year either.

Here are my unsophisticated projections.  I hope and pray I am wrong.  I hope no one else dies.  It's ain't pretty....  Stay Home and Stay Safe.  God Bless.


BE SAFE.  DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN.  DON'T BECOME A STATISTIC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losers and Winners - it's all in your perspective

Musing over small town basketball - Where in the heck is Dora, Missouri? Or Mountain Lake, Minnesota?